The girl, the myth, the legend. These questions come from Script Frenzy. They were originally designed for novel-writing, which means I may leave some out.
1. Name: Buffy Anne Summers
2. Age: 15
3. Height: 5′ 2″
4. Eye color: Hazel-green
5. Physical appearance: Blonde, petite, athletic
6. Strange or unique physical attributes: Barely visible scar on left front shoulder from having a mole removed.
7. Favorite clothing style/outfit: So Cal upper middle class mall chic. (I’m not going to go into a lot of detail on this for a few reasons: fashions change rapidly, I live in NC where we’re about 5 years behind on trends so I don’t feel equipped to describe fashion, and if I were really producing this movie I’d trust my costumers to figure out what this character would wear.)
8. Where does he or she live? What is it like there? Buffy lives in a non-specific neighborhood of LA, but it looks a lot like Silver Lake. It’s your generic So Cal high school movie location, with your generic So Cal movie public high school (Bronson Alcott High a la Clueless, for example). She doesn’t have to go far to get to just about anything she wants: the mall, Starbucks, the movies, etc. That said, she’s not very far from some less nice neighborhoods, either.
9. Defining gestures/movements (i.e., curling his or her lip when he or she speaks, always keeping his or her eyes on the ground, etc.): She has a fabulous pout she utilizes to get her way.
10. Things about his or her appearance he or she would most like to change: Buffy’s pretty satisfied with her appearance and has enough money to change just about anything that displeases her.
11. Speaking style (fast, talkative, monotone, etc.): Speedy, witty
12. Pet peeves: When her charms don’t work on people
13. Fondest memory: She’d never admit it to her friends, but there was one time her parents decided to go camping and she actually had a great time, even though her parents thought it was a disaster.
14. Hobbies/interests: Cheerleading, gymnastics, ice skating
15. Special skills/abilities: She’s particularly flexible, agile, and graceful.
16. Insecurities: Buffy is much smarter than she lets on, and she’s actually afraid her friends will figure this out and shun her.
17. Quirks/eccentricities: ?
18. Temperament (easygoing, easily angered, etc.): Fairly easygoing, but she can hold a grudge.
19. Negative traits: Quick to judge.
20. Things that upset him or her: When people don’t take her seriously. (Which kind of contradicts her worries about her friends figuring out how smart she is, but there you are.)
21. Things that embarrass him or her: Physical displays of affection between her parents or from her parents towards her
22. Things this character really cares about: Her friends.
23. Any phobias? Nope.
24. Things that make him or her happy: Shopping, sugar, cheerleading, ice skating.
25. Family (describe): Hank and Joyce Summers; frequently absent parents who love Buffy but don’t really know what to do with her now that she’s a teenager.
26. Deepest, darkest secret: Up to this point, probably her smarts.
27. Reason he or she kept this secret for so long: Buffy figured out early on that being too much smarter than other people put you on a fast track to nowhere, socially speaking. So she acts as a bit of a leader for her crowd of friends but is careful not to show them up.
28. Other people’s opinions of this character (What do people like about this character? What do they dislike about this character?): People like that Buffy is pretty and nice to her friends. She’s not very nice to people who aren’t her friends, which can cause problems. They also sense that she thinks she’s smarter than them sometimes, even if she does try to hide it.
29. Favorite bands/songs/type of music: Top 40 stuff, especially things with a fast beat; Katy Perry; Lady Gaga; Rihanna; Ke$ha
30. Favorite movies: Ice Princess, romantic comedies, teen comedies (Easy A)
31. Favorite TV shows: Glee, Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl
32. Favorite foods: Cheese
33. Favorite sports/sports teams: Aside from Hemery sports, she doesn’t actually pay attention to sports much, but she likes any team from LA.
34. Political views: People should be generally nice and not hurt animals.
35. Religion/philosophy: See political views.
36. Dream vacation: Hawaii.
37. Description of his or her house: Midcentury modern with a small yard. It’s been renovated a lot in the 50 years since it was originally built.
38. Description of his or her bedroom: Feminine but not excessively girly. White, lace. Mr. Gordo, her stuffed pig, has a place of prominence on her bed.
39. Any pets? No
40. Best thing that has ever happened to this character: Becoming a Varsity cheerleader as a freshman
41. Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: Each time one of her grandparents died. (They’re all gone now)
42. Superstitions: You know the one about the spirit stick?
43. Three words to describe this character: Perky Strong Witty
44. If a song played every time this character walked into the room, what song would it be? Superchick’s One Girl Revolution
A couple notes: This is a 2011 or even 2012 Buffy, not a 1991/1992 or 1996 Buffy. Buffy’s family isn’t super wealthy but they have enough money that they’re never struggling. I’ve decided that her parents are members of the creative class – her dad’s in the more businessy, less geeky side of tech while her mom is a director for a for-profit art gallery. They’re both heavily involved in good works in the community – which takes them away from home a lot.